A single-step, clear cracking glaze that generates a transparent porcelain crackle patina. It may also be used over Cracking Size to produce larger cracking patterns. Tintable with Pro Finishes Pigment Dispersions or blend with Life Style Metallic Mediums. Dries shiny and the crackle is best highlighted with glaze. Very durable finish.
Pro Finishes™ Cracking Glaze
GOLDEN Pro Finishes Cracking Glaze is a single step cracking material that generates a transparent porcelain crackle patina.
• One step
• Ready to use
• Water clean up
Remove all surface contamination by washing with an appropriate cleaner, rinse thoroughly and allow to dry. Existing peeled or checked paint should be scraped and sanded to a smooth, sound surface (See warning below). Glossy surfaces should be sanded dull. Stains from water, smoke, ink, pencil, grease, etc. should be sealed with the appropriate primer/sealer.
If existing paint is in good condition, priming is not needed.
If a surface is new, priming and painting with acrylic wall paint will provide the best, uniform surface for applying the Cracking Glaze.
A semi-gloss or gloss basecoat is suggested.
WARNING! Removal of old paint by sanding, scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. Controlling exposure to lead or other hazardous substances requires the use of proper protective equipment, such as properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved) and- proper containment and cleanup. For more information, call the National Lead Information Center at –LEAD (in US) or contact your local health authority.
• Apply to a clean and dry surface.
• For best adhesion, apply over a non-absorbent base coat.
• Use on rigid substrates only. • May be tinted with GOLDEN Pro Finishes Tinting Dispersion up to 10% dispersion. Always test tint before use.
• Do not thin, force dry, or apply multiple applications of the Cracking Glaze.
• Thin applications will generate a fine cracking pattern with fine fissures and small islands. As the film thickness increases, the cracking pattern will become more pronounced. However, if applied too thickly, the dried film will remain cloudy, and can result in poor adhesion. • For a larger crackle pattern use GOLDEN Pro Finishes Cracking Size under the GOLDEN Pro Finishes Cracking Glaze.
• Test your technique on a practice board before applying to walls or furniture.
• Brush or roller apply.
• DO NOT USE with solvent-based materials
• For interior use.
• Apply at room and surface temperatures between 50° F & 90° F.
Brush application: Apply in a single coat. The direction of the brushstrokes will determine the direction of the cracks. Overworking the product will cause cloudiness or foam and will result in an inconsistent finish. Avoid overworking any one area.
Roller application: Roller cover thickness will determine the amount of material that is applied to the work surface and effect the crackle pattern. Thin applications will produce smaller cracks. Do not roll aggressively or foam will occur.
Sponge application: Use an additive, rather than a subtractive process. A blotting technique with the sponge will create a variable crackle pattern.
Brush: Soft brush suggested.
Roller: Foam roller suggested.
Sponge: Natural sea sponge suggested.
Coverage: Highly dependent on application technique and number of layers. Approx. 50-100 sq. ft./quart.
Dry Time: @ 50% RH, 77° F: 4-8 hours.
• Do not force dry.
• Air movement and exchange will assist in proper drying.
• Cold weather & high humidity will slow down cure time.
Clean your skin and equipment immediately after use with soap and warm water. Keep tools wet while working. Dispose of as latex paint.
• Store in a cool/dry location @ temperatures between 45° F & 90° F.
• Do not allow material to freeze or be exposed to temperatures exceeding 120° F for extended periods.
16 fl. oz. / 473 ml Jar
116 fl. oz. / 3.43 l Can