- A synthetic size designed for the surface adhesion (or flashing) of gold dust or mica powders.
- Flash gilding highlights the granular sheen of mica powders without the compromising need for protective dulling finishes.
- After 10 days the flash gilded surfaces prepared with this size become water resistant. Though this is still intended for interior surfaces.
- When real gold powder is applied to a surface covered with burnish clay (or bole), the gold powder can then be agate burnished to a soft sheen.
- This size is excellent for complicated moldings with undercuts which would be too labor intensive for traditional water gilding.
- 15 minutes to an hour for a working tack, open times are variable, so large objects should be done in sections.