- With either patent or ribbon gold leaf, this size produces a mirror gloss finish on paper without the need for burnishing. The size can be applied with either a fine brush or drawing pen. Miniatum comes in Clear to show the underlying base color or Yellow to blend in with vacancies in the final gilding.
- Smooth paper is preferred for a mirror gloss finish, textured paper can be sealed, then filled in with a base of 2-3 coats of Kolner Burnish Clay. Coated papers may need to be sealed with lacquer to prevent buckling. May also be used on leather, parchment, paper, mylar and acetate.
- Excellent for illuminated manuscript, the gold will not de-laminate when pages are turned.
- Minimal drying time is 3-5 hours, with an open time of up to 20 hours (If there is a discernible tack the finish will be matte). Experimentation is needed to determine correct drying times.
- Thinning of the size should be avoided but up to 5% is possible. Old Miniatum surfaces may be revived with Instacol Activator. For best results the size should form a slight bead on the paper surface. If the size beads to much on plastics, a drop of detergent can be added to the size.